About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sunday Reflections: The Book of Mormon

I have mentioned before of my love for the Book of Mormon. One of the General Authorities, Tad R Callister in the the most recent General Conference , spoke of the importance of the Book of Mormon. Click here to read it. He says everything I would want to say but better.  One Christmas holiday my Grandma Mortimer came to stay with us and she talked of her love and testimony of the Book of Mormon.  After hearing her, for the first time, I had a great desire to read the Book of Mormon, and learn for myself what was inside it's pages.  I opened its pages with excitement and read it and it was like a great novel that I could hardly put down. I gained a testimony of this book.  One scripture that stood out to me that helped me gain a testimony that it was written for us in our day was written by Moroni, the book’s last writer, speaking to us he said, ‘Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.’ (Morm. 8:35.)  I have grown to love this Book and have read it many times since that first time.  Each time I gain new insights.  There is always something in it for me.   Answers to prayers, comforting words, and knowledge of our Savior Jesus Christ.  I know  many people who are not members of our faith have been taught and told to be afraid of this book.  I think they must not know what is in its pages because if they did they would be trying to share it with everyone.  I challenge all my friends and family to read this book for yourselves and pray about it and you, too, will gain a testimony of it's truthfulness.

 A basic background of the Book of Mormon: "The Book of Mormon is a book of scripture similar to the Bible. It is another testament of Jesus Christ. The Bible principally discusses the lives and teachings of ancient Israel. The Book of Mormon contains the writings of several groups who came to the Americas, including a family who left Jerusalem in 600 B.C. These people were also descendants of the house of Israel. Thus the Bible and Book of Mormon were written by people of the same heritage but in different parts of the world.

Like the Bible, the Book of Mormon is more than a historical account. It contains “the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ” (D&C 20:9): the teachings, doctrines, and prophecies that testify of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. "  This excerpt taken from here.

Here are some scriptures that have helped me in my lifetime:

I was shown this acronym S.M.I.L.E in this scripture , 2 Nephi 9:39 "39 O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God, and also the awfulness of yielding to the enticings of that cunning one. Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal,"  while I was on my mission to Carlsbad, California.  There were some great times and rough times while serving the Lord and teaching His gospel.  This scripture helped me then and still helps me now to remember to SMILE and keep an eternal perspective.  Having an eternal, spiritual perspective allows us to SMILE because we know that, though this life is hard, if we persevere and endure our trials that God will bless us immeasurably in this life and especially in the life to come.

Also as a missionary these two chapters were the words that equalled the thoughts in my heart.  I underlined almost every verse in the chapters. 2 Nephi 32-33

I have loved this scripture and have felt the Lord strengthen me and help me bear my burdens. Mosiah 24:15, "15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

There are so many passages in the Book of Mormon that testify to me of Christ that I will just pick a couple of the very very many that I have underlined,  Mosiah 3: 17-19, This is an account of Jesus's appearance to the people in America: 3 Nephi 11-18

I guess I just want to say how much I love this book.  I know that it is the word of God.  Again, I invite all my friends and family to read this book and find the knowledge, comfort, and answers to prayers for themselves that I have found.  I am willing to send anyone a Book of Mormon if they want to read it.  Just send me an email kary_sharee@yahoo.com or write me a note on here.  Also, for those of you who are members and would like to share a favorite passage or how you came to know this book is true in the comments...please do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment