About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Faith Reflection

Well, we had a bit of a scare yesterday with my husband.  I had just got home from picking up my son from school and sat down at the computer to do some learning activities with my little girl.  My husband had been sleeping but all of a sudden I heard him call my name, "Sharee!"  I could tell it was a cry for help and had no idea what I would find when I ran into the bedroom.  I found Kary had fallen on top of the bed and the wheelchair and was having a seizure. I called for my 6 yr old son to call 911 and he sounded very anxious when he said, "I don't know which one is the 9."  So I told him to bring me the phone and he did and then I asked him to stay out in the living room with his sister.  Meanwhile Kary is still seizing and due to his weight is starting to fall between the wheelchair and the bed.  I'm trying to hold him up as I dial 911.  Got them called and then I knew I had to get Kary down to the floor by myself somehow without hurting him and making sure his arms wouldn't get twisted or turned wrong. As I'm still holding him I pushed the wheelchair aside best I could and started lowering him down while he's seizing.  His left arm got stuck in between the two wheelchairs wheels and his whole body was twisted so i had to try and untangle him from the wheels and then got back behind him and grabbed his legs to try and straigthen out his body.  The police man got there and helped me turn him onto his back.  Then the EMT got there and got him on the stretcher.  Luckily our neighbor had come and stayed with the kids while this was all going on. Kary started to come to as they were taking him to the ambulance .  Anyway, we found out that due to a flu bug or some kind of stomach issue that Kary had an infection in his stomach.  Gastroenteritis or something like that.  So they put him on antibiotics.  So, being dehydrated and having flu like symptoms his seizure medicine just wasn't able to absorb like it should.  I stayed the night with Kary at the hospital and they just watched him and kept fluids in him all night and the next day and then made sure he could hold his food down which he did after he recieved the antibiotics.  We got home about 3:30 or so I think.  Anyways, before this happened I had been thinking about the people in my life that have trials.  It seems like they just keep getting trial after trial after trial and I was just thinking to myself, "These people should be exempt from experiencing more trials because they already have it so tough why are they given more on top of what they already have?"  I don't know why it happens like that but I just know it happens so I had a thought that I need to be prepared because life was seeming pretty comfortable and that though I would like to be exempt from more trials, I am not.  Then this happens.  Though it was a shock to my system that it was happening I was not overly stressed.  I've had a feeling of peace and calmness, especially after a priesthood blessing was given to Kary. I knew that it happened for a reason and that God would help us through it.  I was even able to sleep pretty well which is amazing! Then tonight we read in Hebrews Chapter 11.  It's about faith.  How fitting to read this chapter tonight.  VS 1. "Faith is the assurance (JST) of things hoped for , the evidence of things not seen."  We are required to walk by faith in this life.  Faith in our Father above and Faith in our Savior to save and lift us up. We don't always know what God has planned for us.  It takes a lot of faith to trust in His plan.  Many times His plan is very different from what we envision for ourselves.  But, in my own personal experience, God's plan always ends up better than what I would have envisioned for myself.  I don't know how our experience and trials right now are better than what it would have been had it not happened, but I have faith that it is.  God knows best.   I loved the examples that this chapter gave of the many people who exercised their faith in God to do something that may have seemed impossible to them to do.  Abraham was asked to offer his own son as a sacrifice.  Wow!  That would have been a toughy!! What faith he had to do it! Moses, by faith, chose to "suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures  of sin for a season;" This chapter gives so many wonderful examples!!
I especially love vs 40(JST) "God having provided some better things for them through their sufferings, for without sufferings they could not be made perfect."  Can I just say, "WOW!!"
God allows us to have trials for our betterment.  He wants us to live with Him someday.  He knows what it will take to get us there.  If we have FAITH in Him and do our part and follow His commandments SO GREAT WILL BE OUR REWARD IN HEAVEN.  This knowledge is what helps me through each day.  It's not easy, but by faith in my father above I KNOW it will all be worth it in the end.  As the apostle Paul has said, we will be able to say, "I have fought a good afight, I have bfinished my course, I have kept the faith"!!!  AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment