About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Simple Reflections: The Apostle Paul a GREAT example

So, I studied the lesson for tomorrow's Sunday School Lesson and really enjoyed it.  We have many great examples in the scriptures.  Paul is definitely one of them.  Very interesting to me that he was one who had persecuted the saints and was one who also helped in the stoning of Stephen.  He was on his way to Damascus to further his persecution when he saw a vision of Jesus Christ that altered his life forever.  He became a great witness of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He was a great missionary. Throughout his missionary journeys, he was rejected and persecuted. But Paul stood firm in the faith and courageously bore testimony of Jesus Christ.

I think it is amazing that God would choose someone who had so persecuted the saints, but I think he knew that once Paul gained a testimony of his own that he would not falter.  He was stalwart and true.  He knew that he had seen a vision that day and he could not deny the things that he had seen. He had been called of God and yet still people denied the teachings of Christ taught by Paul.  As Christians, when we read the bible, we think to ourselves, "Why on earth wouldn't those people just listen to Paul?  He's called of God.  He's teaching truth.  Why do they not accept it?  Why do they deny it?  Their lives would be so much greater if they would accept the true teachings of Jesus Christ."  Why do people reject the teachings of Christ?  Maybe they are comfortable in their lifestyle and don't want to have to change because maybe it would mean having to give up certain things they currently enjoy doing.  Maybe it would mean giving up traditions.  I don't know.

The story of Paul also reminds me of the Prophet Joseph Smith who saw a vision of God, the Father, and His son, Jesus Christ.  Joseph also thought of the apostle Paul in his experience.  In his own words this is what Joseph said, "
 23 It caused me serious reflection then, and often has since, how very strange it was that an obscure aboy, of a little over fourteen years of age, and one, too, who was doomed to the necessity of obtaining a scanty maintenance by his daily blabor, should be thought a character of sufficient importance to attract the attention of the great ones of the most popular sects of the day, and in a manner to create in them a spirit of the most bitter cpersecution and dreviling. But strange or not, so it was, and it was often the cause of great sorrow to myself.
 24 However, it was nevertheless a fact that I had beheld a avision. I have thought since, that I felt much like Paul, when he made his defense before King Agrippa, and related the account of the vision he had when he saw a light, and heard a voice; but still there were but few who believed him; some said he was dishonest, others said he was bmad; and he was ridiculed and reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision. He had seen a vision, he knew he had, and all the cpersecution under heaven could not make it otherwise; and though they should persecute him unto death, yet he knew, and would know to his latest breath, that he had both seen a light and heard a voice speaking unto him, and all the world could not make him think or believe otherwise.
 25 So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two aPersonages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was bhated and cpersecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me dfalsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not edeny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation."

Having the knowledge I do of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ I want to be a great missionary like Paul. I want to share my knowledge with those I love and care about most.  Just as I ask why the people in Paul's day rejected his message as an apostle of the Lord, I wonder, " Why on earth won't people just listen to the message restored through Joseph Smith?  He was called of God.  He taught truth.  Why do they not accept it?  Why do they deny it?  Their lives would be so much greater if they would accept the true teachings of Jesus Christ."  Maybe it's because they have not been given the chance to learn more about it.  This is my invitation to all my friends and family:  Will you hear the words of a man that has been called of God, just like the apostle Paul, and find out the truth's of the gospel that have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith?  There are young men everywhere that have been called as the Lord's servants to teach the truth's of His gospel.... You can click on one of the buttons on the right of this blog or you can contact me with questions you may have as well.

It does take great courage to be a witness of Christ. Paul was a great example of that.  He went from being a persecutor of the gospel to being a great teacher and disciple of Christ.   Through it all the Lord was with Paul and told him to "be of good cheer."   May we all be like the apostle Paul and be witnesses of Jesus Christ in all situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment