About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Fire

I have mentioned this before I believe but again it is coming to mind.  Before Kary's stroke I felt like I was just going through the motions when I was at church.  I had a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ but I just didn't feel the fire.  Unfortunately it took an experience like this to light the fire underneath me.  I feel the fire now and I'm grateful.  You can't go through a trial like ours and not want to sing the song of redeeming love for our Savior.  I also think that we have experiences or trials like these to learn and grow...to become better followers of Christ and not keep these experiences to ourselves but to share with others what we are learning.  I want to be like Alma the Younger in vs 9-10 of chapter 9 when he says, "
 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do anot bglory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.
 10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember awhat the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me."

I think most people who have felt the love of the Savior and known the blessings that come from following Him wish they could share the joy and blessings that have come to them through following Him.  I love hearing other's stories of conversion to the Savior and His gospel.  Recently heard Sheila Walsh on the radio the other day and was totally inspired by her story.  We also have trials in our lives to help us be more compassionate towards others who may be experiencing similiar trials to our own.  I'm grateful for the people in my life who share their testimonies of the Savior with me.  I'm grateful for the scriptures that uplift and edify and teach me of God's plan.

I don't really know what the purpose of this post is....these were just some of my thoughts I had as I was studying tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment