About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Reflections: Be of Good Cheer

My Mom's side of the family has a motto that we strive to live by. It is, "Be of Good Cheer!"  We have the quote from Thomas S. Monson and there are several scriptures also that remind us of this. Here are a few of my favorites:

D&C 68:5-6 "Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
  Wherefore, be of good acheer, and do not bfear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I cwas, that I am, and that I am to come"

D&C 78:18 "And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along.  the kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours."

John 16:33 “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Marvin J. Ashton wrote, "Good cheer is a state of mind or mood that promotes happiness or joy....With God’s help, good cheer permits us to rise above the depressing present or difficult circumstances. It is a process of positive reassurance and reinforcement. It is sunshine when clouds block the light."

I love that.  In each of these scriptures we are reminded to "be of good cheer" because Jesus is there for us.   We don't have to carry our burdens alone.  We each have burdens or trials that we carry on our shoulders. Life doesn't always turn out the way we plan.  "Things" happen (that's putting it mildly...ha ha) that sometimes we just don't have control over.  Knowing that we have a loving Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ by our side really does provide a way for us to still experience joy.  The Lord will stand by us, he will lead us along.  We have the promise of eternal riches and blessings. This knowledge brings ME personally so much hope, which in turn allows me to feel cheerful and bright about each day and about our future.  If I didn't have this knowledge then I would probably be a cloud of gloom and doom. Life would be plum depressing.  But nope, I choose to trust in Father above and lean on my Savior.  This is what brings me happiness and hope for my family now and the future.

 Let us all "BE OF GOOD CHEER!"

No comments:

Post a Comment