About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesday Reflection: Family

The last couple of weeks for some reason have been extra hard for me it seems.  Last week especially I just really felt stressed with all the things I have to do.  And it just seemed like my house was closing in on me.  I try to keep up with it all but can't get on top of things and I just really started to feel like I was drowning.  Then yesterday my youngest and myself got the flu.  Luckily my daughter's bout didn't last long but mine lasted from 7:30 in the morning until 2 or 3 this morning. I felt like I was going to die.  I lost 3 pounds.  I've been wanting to lose weight but not like that.  Ouchy!    So with my anxiety and then getting sick it was just all so overwhelming and I asked my husband to give me a priesthood blessing.  After it was over I just started sobbing uncontrollably and just letting go of all the pent up emotions I had.  Kary put his arm around me, my son (6) sees me and comes over and puts his arms around me and then my daughter (2) comes  and puts her arms around me and pats my back and says, "It's okay Mommy. It's okay."  At that moment I just felt so much love for my little family and was just reminded that our little family and the love and support that we give each other is the most important thing.  It doesn't matter that my house is a mess and that I have a mountain of laundry in my basement, and my dishes are undone, my bills are unpaid, etc....those things don't matter.  I realized that that is why we are sent here on earth to be part of a family....they are a source of love, strength, and support, and comfort to us.  We don't have to face this life alone.  Family is there for the good times and the bad.  They tell you the truth when no one else will.  They love you despite your weaknesses and challenge you to grow and be more than you are because they see you for what you truly can become.  I'm so grateful for my own sweet little family.  I'm grateful for my Mom and Dad and my brothers and sisters.  They have been such a help to me in my time of need.  They have been a source of strength and comfort.  I'm also so grateful for Kary's family.  We feel their love and support as well and are grateful for the strength and support we get from them.



These are old pictures of my family members but I don't have a recent family photo with all of us together.




3 comments:

  1. I love this. You have a beautiful family. That first picture is so great.

    I'm sorry it's been a rough few weeks. I hate when those come around. You are amazing with such a great outlook on life. Thank your for your inspiration and wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mercedi! You and your family provide inspiration to me as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh Sharee! You make me cry. I know that feeling. In fact, tonight I had to laugh when Lucas yelled from his room, "Mom-you really need to do my laundry!!! It's stacking up real high in here!" Mark and I had to laugh cuz I know it's true...been a hard week for me too. All I can say is I love your attitude and you are not alone! I love you.

    ReplyDelete