About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sunday Reflections: August 7, 2011

Today was Fast Sunday and Colton bore his testimony again.  He wanted to go up but didn't want to go by himself so I went up with him.  I didn't really want to get up since I got up last month, but Colton is a good motivator.  One thing that I bore a simple testimony of is tithing. I have been thinking about tithing lately and all the blessings I have recieved from paying tithing. I guess that will be my topic for today: Tithing.

One of my favorite scriptures about tithing is Malachi 3: 8-11,

"8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.


9Ye are acursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts."


I started paying tithing when I was 10 years old.  The blessings I didn't fully understand back then but I did know that I would find money in a pocket every now and then and I was always blessed with babysitting jobs to help me buy school clothes.   

I really gained a deep testimony of tithing and the blessings that come, when I was in college.  I only had a part time job and was going to school full time.  Between paying for school, car, housing, dental, insurance, etc...you get the idea, I had little left for food.  There were a couple of months that I had to make the decision to either pay my tithing or buy food so that I could eat.  I remembered that scripture and knew that I had to pay my tithing.  It was a leap of faith.  One that paid off immeasurably.  Within days of paying my tithing I had a friend who was finished with school, working full time, and living at home who just had the feeling that I needed help.  So, she packed me up in her car and took me grocery shopping.  She paid for 100 dollars worth of groceries, which lasted me quite awhile.  Then I noticed my gas tank in my car.  Usually I had to buy gas every two weeks.  I did nothing different in my daily routine.  I noticed that my gas tank read full for a long time. I thought my fuel gauge must have been broken, but it was not and my fuel lasted me for a whole month.  Another direct blessing of paying tithing.
After Kary and I were married and we had Colton, I quit my job to stay at home with Colton.  This was a financial hardship on us. But, we both knew that if we paid our tithing that the Lord would provide.  Kary decided he needed to find another job.  We felt blessed that he was able to find another job even though it meant him being away longer hours from home.  Well, the very day that Kary was to start this second job his boss at the first job told him not to worry about working a second job and gave Kary a significant pay raise.  We felt that was definitely a direct blessing from paying our tithing.
Recently with circumstances as they are and Kary not working I have not really been too worried about our financial situation because I know that if we pay our tithing and keep God's commandments that God will provide for our needs.  He has and He does and He will.  I know this with all my heart to be true.  When we moved out of my Grandma's and into our own little place I figured we could be there for 6 months before depleting all our savings.  As you know, we were there for about a year and our savings is still mostly in tact.  It's almost hard to comprehend.  These are a few of the experiences and blessings we have recieved from paying tithing.  I could go on.  I have a sweet peace knowing that God fulfills all his promises if we do as He asks.  I know that if we pay our tithing that the windows of heaven WILL open and the blessings WILL poor down upon us.  My family and I have witnessed it and know it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment