About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sunday Reflection: August 28, 2011

Since Kary's stroke and all the blessings we have recieved we have felt that we need to dedicate our lives more to the Lord.  One of the ways that we have tried to do that is to have daily scripture study as a family.  We read the Book of Mormon last year as a family and we are now reading the New Testament.  It has been so great to read the scriptures because they have given us great comfort and knowledge of our Father in Heaven's plan.  Just tonight we read in 2 Corinthians chapter 4  vs. 17 says, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;"  I just really loved that.  It's just a reminder that if we endure our trials in this life that our reward in Heaven will be great.  It helps us be able to persevere through each day knowing that if we endure well that Father in Heaven will bless us eternally.  The scriptures have been a place that I can go for answers.  We communicate with God through prayer.  If we want to hear his voice we can turn to the scriptures.  So many times I have needed answers in my life and found them in the scriptures.  By studying the scriptures we learn:
 Who we are.
 What we can become.
 Prophecies for us and for our posterity.
 The commandments, laws, ordinances, and covenants we must live by to obtain eternal life.
 And how we must live in order to endure to the end and return to our Heavenly Father with honor.

The scriptures testify of Jesus Christ and bring us closer to Him.  The Bible is the word of God.  The Book of Mormon is also the word of God. The Book of Mormon is a second witness and testament of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. It is not meant to replace the Bible but to enhance our understanding of the doctrines presented in it. The Book of Mormon was written by ancient prophets for us, in our time, to strengthen us. Following His resurrection Jesus Christ visited the American Continent just as he visited the people in Jerusalem.  Jesus tells the people in Jerusalem in John 10:16 :  " And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."   When he visited  the people in America he said, (3rd Nephi 15:21)" And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."

I love reading the Bible.  I love reading the Book of Mormon. How great it is that we have such powerful witnesses of our Savior Jesus Christ.  Again, I'm grateful for the scriptures and know that by studying them my understanding and love for our Savior Jesus Christ has increased.  Prayers have been answered through them.  My knowledge and understanding of the gospel has increased.  We have a loving Father in Heaven who has given us His word to help us through this life and help us to know how we can return to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment