About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Monday, November 7, 2011

Sunday Reflections: Be an Example of the Believers

 I wasn't able to attend church today because my husband was sick.  Colton was sick last week so we missed last week too.  I feel such a difference when I'm not able to recharge my spiritual batteries.  Anyway, I'm glad I'm still able to read my scriptures and lessons and feel uplifted that way.  My sister, Lanae, shared with me a quote for next week's lesson that I really liked.  It's by Ruth B. Wright from October 1991 General Conference, "In Timothy (4:12), we are admonished to be an example of the believers. A believer is someone who follows and knows the teachings of Christ not only in his mind but also in his heart and whose actions are a witness of that belief. It isn't easy to be an example of the believers.  We don't usually wake up in the morning and say, 'Today, I'm going to be an example of the believers!'  Yet, we can say, 'Today, I will be kind and thoughtful, or considerate, or honest, or whatever quality I need to work on.'  And then we will try hard all day to make a conscious effort to do so. That's what we can do!  We can live in such a way that people can look to us as their examples.
To be a good example of a principle, we must not only understand it, but we must live that principle. It should be such a part of our every day living that without consciously thinking about it, the principle is reflected in the way we live.  To be true examples of believers, we are first committed inwardly to the principle of Christ that our actions reflect. For example, if we are dedicated to the principle of family prayer, we as parents pray regularly with our family. Hopefully, our children will recognize our devotion and dependence on prayer and pattern their prayers after this example.
Each of us can feel our Savior's love through the righteous example of others.  We, too, can strive to live in such a way that we can be examples of the believers."
I'm so grateful for the examples of believers I have had in my life that have helped strengthen my own testimony.  I have a long way to go but I really want to improve so many things in my life so that I can be a better example of the believers.  The great thing about this life is that we can try each day to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment