About Me

My photo
My husband and I were living the picture perfect life after 5 years of marriage when he was hit with a massive stroke in 2010. He ended up having a craniotomy and was left paralyzed on the left side and legally blind. I was 9 months pregnant at the time with our second child. He was in the hospital for 3 months 4 hours away from us. It has been a roller coaster. Although we never wished this to happen, we have seen so many blessings in our life since his stroke. We are trying to learn all that we must and trying to keep the faith and have a positive attitude. This blog is a place that I can share things that I have learned and continue to learn. You can contact us at kary_sharee@yahoo.com. Read about our experience here http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/karysmith

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Reflection: Forgiveness

Well I have had a bit of a rough night tonight. I just want to be the perfect Mommy but I'm so far from it. I wish I could go one day without having to raise my voice or get upset with my children, one in particular. I struggle so much with patience. I keep praying to have it because I need it and God keeps giving and giving me experiences so that I can exercise patience, but I just haven't been able to come close to mastering it. I get so mad at myself for failing time and time again. I fail every day it seems like.

Anyway, this has me thinking of forgiveness. The reason being...no matter how mad I get at my son or often I get after him and lose my temper with him, he always forgives me. It always amazes me that he will even ever look at me again or hug me and give me kisses after the way I treat him sometimes. (I know I'm not painting a very pretty picture of myself right now but I have to admit that I lose it sometimes.) After all the yelling and getting upset tonight I crept in the room where he was finally asleep and kissed his little head and told him I was sorry. He half awakens and says, "It's okay." Bless his little heart. How much I need that forgiveness from him. What a great example he is to me. How much better I need to be at forgiving those who might offend me. In the past I have been a big grudge holder. Through some not so great experiences, I have learned it is better to forgive than to hold on to things and let them fester inside. No matter how right we feel we are. The only people we hurt by not forgiving others is ourselves.

In section 64 of the Doctrine and Covenants the Lord makes the following statement:

“Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
“I, the Lord, will forgive whom I forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.” (D&C 64:9–10.)

When we do not forgive it becomes a burden upon our shoulders that weighs us down. (I'm speaking from experience, unfortunately.)

I have many many shortcomings. Many of them came to the surface tonight. I'm full aware of them. But as I sit and contemplate my shortcomings tonight I'm grateful that I can go to my Father in Heaven in prayer and ask for His forgiveness. And like my dear son who said, "It's okay." I know that God will forgive me also. Each day can begin anew. We just have to try our hardest each day to do better. No one is perfect. We are allowed to keep trying and eventually Christ will make up the difference. The important thing is that we don't give up. No matter how awful our sin we can be forgiven if we repent because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior.

“There is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come: yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world.” (Hel. 5:9.)

In recalling the words which Amulek spoke to Zeezrom, Helaman emphasized man’s part in obtaining forgiveness—repenting of his sins:

“He said unto him that the Lord surely should come to redeem his people, but that he should not come to redeem them in their sins, but to redeem them from their sins.

“And he hath power given unto him from the Father to redeem them from their sins because of repentance.”

I'm truly grateful for the power of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for the forgiveness that I am able to recieve from my Father because Jesus suffered and died for me. He has paid the price for me. I'm grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who has sent two dear children to teach me how to be more forgiving of others.

May we endeavor to become like little children and easily forgive as God forgives us. May we remember that no matter the sin or shortcoming that we can be forgiven if we repent and come unto Christ and be perfected through Him.

Here is a little video clip of an example of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment